From Ancient Greek ἐσωτερικός (esōterikos, “belonging to an inner circle”), from ἐσωτέρω (esōterō, “further inside”), comparative of ἔσω (esō, “within”), from ἐς (es), εἰς (eis, “into”) (esoteric originally referred to the secret teachings of Greek philosophers, versus public or exoteric ones).
- (UK) IPA: /ˌɛs.əʊˈtɛɹ.ɪk/, X-SAMPA: /%Es.@U"tEr.Ik/
- (US) IPA: /ˌɛs.əˈtɛɹ.ɪk/, /ˌɛs.oʊˈtɛɹ.ɪk/, enPR: ěsətěr'ĭk, ěsōtěr'ĭk, X-SAMPA: /%Es.@"tEr.Ik/, /%Es.oU"tEr.Ik/
- Rhymes: -ɛrɪk
esoteric (comparative more esoteric, superlative most esoteric)
- Understood only by a chosen few or an enlightened inner circle.
- The writing in this manual is very esoteric; I need a degree in engineering just to understand it!
- Having to do with concepts that are highly theoretical and without obvious practical application; often with mystical or religious connotations.
- Confidential; private.
- (understood only by a chosen few or an enlightened inner circle): arcane, recondite
- (highly theoretical; not practical): cerebral
- (confidential; private): secretive
Related terms 
understood only by a chosen few or an enlightened inner circle
- Italian: esoterico (it) m, esoterica (it) f, esoterici (it) m pl, esoteriche (it) f pl
- Japanese: 秘儀の (ja) (ひぎの, higi no), 奥義の (ja) (おうぎの, ōgi no)
- Lithuanian: ezoterinis (lt) m
- Macedonian: езотеричен (mk) (ezotéričen) m, езотерична (mk) (ezotérična) f, езотерично (mk) (ezotérično) n, езотерични (mk) (ezotérični) pl
- Norwegian: esoterisk (no)
- Polish: ezoteryczny (pl) m, tajemny (pl) m
- Romanian: ezoteric (ro)
- Russian: эзотерический (ru) (ezoteríčeskij)
- Serbo-Croatian: ezotèričan (sh)
- Spanish: esotérico (es) m
- Swedish: esoterisk (sv)
- Turkish: ezoterik (tr), bâtınî (tr), (rare) içrek (tr)
having to do with concepts that are highly theoretical
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
See also