Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The point of complete depletion, of the state of being used up.
- We worked the mine to exhaustion, there's nothing left to extract.
- Supreme tiredness; having exhausted energy.
1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 19, The China Governess:
- As soon as Julia returned with a constable, Timothy, who was on the point of exhaustion, prepared to give over to him gratefully. The newcomer turned out to be a powerful youngster, fully trained and eager to help, and he stripped off his tunic at once.
- I ran in the marathon to exhaustion, then I collapsed and had to be carried away.
- (dated, chemistry) The removal (by percolation etc) of an active medicinal constituent from plant material.
- (dated, physics) The removal of all air from a vessel (the creation of a vacuum).
- (mathematics) An exhaustive procedure
- See also Wikisaurus:fatigue
point of complete depletion
supreme tiredness; having exhausted energy