Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ætən
- (transitive) To make something flat or flatter.
- As there was a lot of damage, we chose the heavy roller to flatten the pitch.
- Mary would flatten the dough before rolling it into pretzels.
- (reflexive) To press one's body tightly against a surface, such as a wall or floor, especially in order to avoid being seen or harmed.
- (transitive) To knock down or lay low.
- The prize fighter quickly flattened his challenger.
- (intransitive) To become flat or flatter.
- (intransitive) To be knocked down or laid low.
- (music) To lower by a semitone.
to make something flat
to knock down or lay low