Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Hyphenation: fur‧lough
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈfɜː(ɹ).ləʊ/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈfɝ.loʊ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)ləʊ
furlough (plural furloughs)
- A leave of absence or vacation.
- The documents authorizing such leave.
- (US) A period of unpaid time off, used by an employer to reduce costs.
2008 November 7, Jon Ortiz, “State workers rip Schwarzenegger's job furlough plan”, The Sacramento Bee:
- The state estimates the one-day-a-month furlough spread over the 18 months of the plan would amount to a 5 percent cut in pay.
- For usage examples of this term, see the citations page.
leave of absence
period of unpaid time off used by an employer to reduce costs
- (transitive) To grant a furlough to (someone).