Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From Middle French document.
- An original or official paper relied upon as the basis, proof, or support of anything else, including any writing, book, or other instrument conveying information pertinent to such proof or support. Any material substance on which the thoughts of men are represented by any species of conventional mark or symbol.
- (obsolete) That which is taught or authoritatively set forth; precept; instruction; dogma.
- (obsolete) An example for instruction or warning.
Related terms 
original or official paper
- To record in documents.
- He documented each step of the process as he did it, which was good when the investigation occurred.
- To furnish with documents or papers necessary to establish facts or give information.
- A ship should be documented according to the directions of law.
to record in documents
From Latin documentum.
document m (plural documents)