Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- (archaic) Nobly; magnanimously.
- To a great extent or degree.
1918, W. B. Maxwell, chapter 12, The Mirror and the Lamp:
- There were many wooden chairs for the bulk of his visitors, and two wicker armchairs with red cloth cushions for superior people. From the packing-cases had emerged some Indian clubs, […], and all these articles […] made a scattered and untidy decoration that Mrs. Clough assiduously dusted and greatly cherished.
2011 October 29, Phil McNulty, “Chelsea 3-5 Arsenal”, BBC Sport:
- Terry's goal looked to have put Chelsea in control on the stroke of half-time but Arsenal's response presented a compelling case for Wenger's insistence that reports of his side's demise have been greatly exaggerated.
- Expenses greatly exceeded revenues.
- He was more greatly beloved than anyone in living memory.
to a great extent