keep tabs on
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) To monitor; to keep track of; to watch.
- If you are careful to keep tabs on your finances, you should be able to stay within a budget.
- The police kept close tabs on him during the holidays.
- 1910, Stewart Edward White, The Rules of the Game ch. 85:
- He might have spent the hours camped under the trees of the more remote meadow, whence in the brilliant moonlight he could keep tabs on the trails.
- 1919, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Rainbow Valley, ch. 16:
- I'll catch him—I'll trip him up—I'll keep tabs on his arguments.
- 2010, Andrew Lee Butters, "Why the U.S. Is Back on the Road to Damascus," Time:
- Syria's much feared state-security apparatus keeps close tabs on everyone entering and leaving the embassy.