- (UK) IPA(key): /ləˈrɪn.dʒi.əl/, /læɹˈɪn.dʒəl/, /ˌlæɹ.ɪnˈdʒiː.əl/
- (US) IPA(key): /ləˈrɪn.dʒi.əl/, /ˌlæɹ.ɪnˈdʒiː.əl/
- Of or pertaining to a larynx or larynges.
laryngeal (plural laryngeals)
- (phonetics) A laryngeal sound, a sound uttered by using the larynx.
- (Indo-European linguistics) In Proto-Indo-European, one of the typically three reconstructed consonants usually marked as <h₁>, <h₂> and <h₃>.
The term laryngeal in Indo-European studies is but an anachronistic misnomer, retained only because it has been established as a standard term for those three phonemes. The exact phonetic value of Proto-Indo-European laryngeals is unknown, but it's generally agreed that not all of them were real laryngeals.