Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Note that maintain has undergone a sound and spelling change, hence spelt with -tain-, rather than the -ten- still found in maintenance.
maintenance (plural maintenances)
- Actions performed to keep some machine or system functioning or in service
- (law) A tort committed when a third party who does not have a bona fide interest in a lawsuit provides help or acquires an interest to a litigant's lawsuit.
- (law) (UK English) Alimony, a periodical payment or a lump sum made or ordered to be made to a spouse after a divorce.
- Money required or spent to provide for the needs of a person or a family.
keeping a machine in service
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
money to provide for the means of living for a person
- maintenance in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- maintenance in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- maintenance at OneLook Dictionary Search
Audio (Paris) (file)
maintenance f (plural maintenances)