- (UK) IPA(key): /ˌbəʊ.nəˈfaɪ.di/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌboʊnəˈfaɪdi/, /ˈboʊnə.faɪd/, /ˈboʊnəˌfiːdeɪ/
Audio (US) (file) Audio (US) (file)
Audio (US) (file)
The pronunciation IPA(key): /ˈboʊnə.faɪd/, is the most common one in the USA and therefore listed first in American dictionaries, incl. American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, and the American versio of Collins.
- In good faith.
- Although he failed, the prime minister made a bona fide attempt to repair the nation's damaged economy.
- Genuine; not counterfeit.
- This is a bona fide Roman coin.
- 2000, O Brother Where Art Thou? (movie):
- Ulysses Everett McGill: I am the only daddy you got! I’m the damn pater familias!
- Wharvey Gal: But you ain’t bona fide!
Sometimes misspelled as *bonafied, by incorrectly analyzing as the past tense of assumed *bonafy.
- (done in good faith): mala fide