Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Alternative forms 
Audio (US) (file)
- (uncountable) An item's composition.
- To understand how a nuclear reactor works, we must first look at its makeup.
- (uncountable) Cosmetics; colorants and other substances applied to the skin to improve its appearance.
- She is wearing a lot of makeup.
Usage notes 
The alternative spelling make-up is favored by the Oxford Dictionary, and thus is often considered to be British, while makeup, being preferred by Merriam Webster's dictionary, is the generally accepted American spelling. 
- See also Wikisaurus:toiletry
- ^ In reference with Jean-Claude Corbeil/Ariane Archambault: Visual Dictionary, Look up a Word from a Picture, Find the Picture from a Word. New York, New York, Oxford, England, 1987 ©