Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈnɔːðən/, /ˈnɔːðn̩/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈnɔɹðɚn/
- (non-standard) IPA(key): /ˈnɒðə(ɹ)n/
Audio (US) (file)
- Of, facing, situated in, or related to the north.
2013 June 29, “High and wet”, The Economist, volume 407, number 8842, page 28:
- Floods in northern India, mostly in the small state of Uttarakhand, have wrought disaster on an enormous scale. The early, intense onset of the monsoon on June 14th swelled rivers, washing away roads, bridges, hotels and even whole villages.
- (of a wind) Blowing from the north; northerly.
- (UK) Characteristic of the North of England (usually capitalised).
- Les Dawson was a famous Northern comedian.
characteristic of North of England