on the fritz
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (of electrical or mechanical appliances) Out of order; malfunctioning; broken.
- I'd record it, but my VCR is on the fritz again.
- My washing machine has gone on the fritz, and I have a load of muddy clothes with which to deal.
- 2004, Lisa Marie Rice, Woman On the Run, page 32,
- No ′40s movie heroine worth the name would have a house that let in gusts of gelid air, had a heating system that went on the fritz constantly and leaked.
- 2006, Nero Blanc, Death on the Diagonal, page 191,
- “Or your cell-phone reception went on the fritz. We know how often that happens.”
- 2010, Ralph Bowersox, Ralph's True Stories: Entertaining Chronicles of Life in Clarion County, Pennsylvania, Late 1920s through the Present Day, page 185,
- Some time ago, a tenant called me and said her refrigerator was on the fritz. I had a spare, so I took it down to her and exchanged it for her old one.
- Only used predicatively
- fritz up (obsolete, 1910s)