Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /pɹɪˈtɛnʃəsliː/, /pɹəˈtɛnʃəsliː/
- (US) IPA(key): /pɹɪˈtɛnʃəsliː/, /pɹiːˈtɛnʃəsliː/
- In a manner with unwarranted claim to importance or distinction.
- Ostentatiously; in a manner intended to impress others.
1914, Louis Joseph Vance, chapter 1, Nobody:
- Little disappointed, then, she turned attention to "Chat of the Social World," gossip which exercised potent fascination upon the girl's intelligence. She devoured with more avidity than she had her food those pretentiously phrased chronicles of the snobocracy […] distilling therefrom an acid envy that robbed her napoleon of all its savour.
- In a manner demanding of skill or daring.