Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
privateer (plural privateers)
- (nautical) A privately owned warship that had official sanction to attack enemy ships and take possession of their cargo.
- An officer or any other member of the crew of such a ship.
- Kidd soon threw off the character of a privateer and became a pirate.
- (motor racing) A private individual entrant into a race or competition who does not have the backing of a large, professional team.
A privately owned warship
An officer or crew of a privateer ship
Motor racing: Private individual entrant
- (motor racing): works team
- To function under official sanction permitting attacks on enemy shipping and seizing ship and cargo; to engage in government-sponsored piracy.