Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Ration
ration (plural rations)
- A portion designated to a person or group.
- (transitive) To supply with a ration; to limit (someone) to a specific allowance of something.
- We rationed ourselves to three sips of water a day until we were rescued.
- (transitive) To portion out (especially during a shortage of supply); to limit access to.
- By the third day on the raft, we had to ration our water.
- (transitive) To restrict (an activity etc.)
- Our present health care system is rationed only to those who can afford it because of unnecessary high cost, lack of insurance coverage by 47 million people, and exorbitant prescription prices.
to portion out, especially during a shortage of supply
ration f (plural rations)