Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
recipe (plural recipes)
- (medicine, archaic) A formula for preparing or using a medicine; a prescription; also, a medicine prepared from such instructions. [from 16th c.]
- Any set of instructions for preparing a mixture of ingredients. [from 17th c.]
- By extension, a plan or procedure to obtain a given end result. [from 17th c.]
- His new approach is definitely a recipe for success.
- Now especially, a set of instructions for making or preparing food dishes. [from 18th c.]
instructions for making or preparing food dishes
- IPA: /reˈtsi.pe/
- second-person singular present active imperative of recipiō
- "take thou back"
- "receive thou"