Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Conscious or self-aware.
- Experiencing sensation, thinking, thought, or feeling.
- (chiefly in science fiction) Possessing human-like knowledge and intelligence.
conscious or aware
experiencing sensation, perceiving, thinking, or feeling
science fiction: possessing human-like awareness, knowledge and intelligence
sentient (plural sentients)
- Lifeform with the capability to feel sensation, such as pain.
- (chiefly science fiction) An intelligent, self-aware being.
- Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, Oxford University Press, 2007, pp. 180–81
- sentient adj. at the OED Science Fiction Citations Project
- sentient n. at the OED Science Fiction Citations Project