Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
smudge (plural smudges)
- A blemish; a smear.
- There was a smudge on the paper.
- Dense smoke, such as that used for fumigation.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Grose to this entry?)
- (US) A heap of damp combustibles partially ignited and burning slowly, placed on the windward side of a house, tent, etc. to keep off mosquitoes or other insects.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Bartlett to this entry?)
a blemish; a smear
dense smoke, such as used for fumigation
- To obscure by blurring; to smear.
- To soil or smear with dirt.
- To use dense smoke to protect from insects.
- To stifle or smother with smoke.
- (paganism) To burn herbs as a cleansing ritual.
- (to obscure by blurring): blur, smear
- (to soil or smear with dirt): smutch, soil
- (to use smoke against insects): fumigate
to obscure by blurring
to soil or smear with dirt