Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
spearhead (plural spearheads)
- The pointed head, or end, of a spear.
- One who leads or initiates an activity (such as an attack or a campaign).
- The leading military unit in an attack.
- (sports) A player who initiates attacking moves
2011 September 2, Phil McNulty, “Bulgaria 0-3 England”, BBC:
- England played at a tempo in attack that was too much for Bulgaria, with width provided at various times by Walcott, Young and Stewart Downing and Rooney acting as the potent spearhead.
the pointed head, or end, of a spear
one who leads or initiates an activity
the leading military unit in an attack
- (transitive) To drive or campaign ardently for, as an effort, project, etc.
- He spearheaded the entire project from day one.
2012 April 21, Jonathan Jurejko, “Newcastle 3-0 Stoke”, BBC Sport:
- Newcastle have put themselves within touching distance after a fantastic run which has been spearheaded by the goals of Senegal striker Cisse.