Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To dedicate time to an activity.
2013 July-August, Henry Petroski, “Geothermal Energy”, American Scientist, volume 101, number 4:
- Energy has seldom been found where we need it when we want it. Ancient nomads, wishing to ward off the evening chill and enjoy a meal around a campfire, had to collect wood and then spend time and effort coaxing the heat of friction out from between sticks to kindle a flame.
- These days, many people spend time surfing social networking sites.
- To accompany someone for leisure; to hang out.
- It's my day off today - let's spend some time together. Parents should spend more time with their children.