- Rhymes: -ɪv
spiv (plural spivs)
- (UK, dated) a smartly dressed person who trades in illicit, black-market or stolen goods
- (UK, dated) a flashy con artist, often homeless, who lives by his wits
- (UK, dated) in Scotland Yard usage, a low and common thief
- (UK, dated) a slacker; one who shirks responsibility
"I make no apology for attacking spivs and gamblers who did more harm to the British economy than [transport union leader] Bob Crow could achieve in his wildest Trotskyite fantasies, while paying themselves outrageous bonuses underwritten by the taxpayer." -- Vince Cable on the banking system.
- "spiv" at World Wide Words Michael Quinion, 2001