Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Of, or relating to synthesis.
- (chemistry) Produced by synthesis instead of being isolated from a natural source (but may be identical to a product so obtained).
2013 August 10, “A new prescription”, The Economist, volume 408, number 8848:
- As the world's drug habit shows, governments are failing in their quest to monitor every London window-box and Andean hillside for banned plants. But even that Sisyphean task looks easy next to the fight against synthetic drugs. No sooner has a drug been blacklisted than chemists adjust their recipe and start churning out a subtly different one.
- Artificial, not genuine.
- (grammar) Pertaining to the joining of bound morphemes in a word. Compare analytic.
Of, or relating to synthesis
(chemistry) Produced by synthesis
Artificial, not genuine
(grammar) Pertaining to the joining of bound morphemes in a word
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
synthetic (plural synthetics)