Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (RP) IPA: /tɒŋz/, X-SAMPA: /tQNz/
- (GenAm) IPA: /taɑːŋz/, /tɔːnz/, X-SAMPA: /tA:Nz/, /tO:Nz/
Audio (US) (file)
tongs (plural only)
- (Plural form of tong) An instrument or tool used for picking things up without touching them with the hands or fingers, consisting of two slats or grips hinged at the end or in the middle, and sometimes including a spring to open the grips.
- (by extension) (Plural form of tong) A large scissors-like two-piece center-hinged forged-iron implement with oval-loop handles and with pointed tips turned inward (in the same plane as and perpendicular to the handles) to facilitate lifting and carrying a block of ice. Often called ice tongs.
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of tong.
- Plural form of tong