Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (fandom slang) A very active and dedicated fan, particularly of science fiction.
1975 March, Joe Pumilia, “The Vulcan Invasion”, KPFT, volume 2, page 1:
- And even though I have gone on to find other interests, I remain at heart a "trufan."
1998, Everett Franklin Bleiler, Science-fiction: The Gernsback Years, ISBN 9780873386043, Introduction, page xxix:
- It is difficult to put into words, but for the "trufan" science-fiction or the magazines entered his life more than a hobby and only a little less than a vocation. Over and over one encounters the statement that when a trufan discovered science-fiction he/she found a fulfillment.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see the citations page.
- Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction, Oxford University Press, 2007, p. 251
- trufan n. at the OED Science Fiction Citations Project