Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Fanciful extension of up.
- Presumptuous, above oneself, self-important; arrogant, snobbish, haughty.
- I think you are one very uppity young man.
- 1993, David Weber, On Basilisk Station, edition Paperback, Sci-Fi, ISBN 0671721631, page 141:
- The Association was openly committed to "restoring the historical balance of power intended by our Founders" between the nobility and the uppity commoners …
- Be careful about using this in interracial situations: Americans used this to describe black people whom they considered not submissive and subservient enough.
Presumptuous, above oneself