- 1 English
- 2 Breton
- 3 Hungarian
- 4 Ido
- 5 Old English
- (in verbs, past participles, and some denominal adjectives):
- (other denominal adjectives):
- Used to form past tenses of (regular) verbs. In linguistics, it is used for the base form of any past form. See -t for a variant.
- pointed (as in He pointed at the dog.)
- Used to form past participles of (regular) verbs. See -en and -t for variants.
- pointed (as in He has pointed at the dog.)
From Old English -od (“adjective suffix”), from Proto-Germanic *-ōdaz. While identical in appearance to the past participle of class 2 weak verbs, this suffix was attached directly to nouns without any intervening verb. Compare also Latin -ātus.
- Used to form adjectives from nouns, in the sense of having the object represented by the noun.
- pointed (as in A needle has a pointed end. - the end of a needle has a point.)
- As an extension of the above, when used along with an adjective preceding the noun, describes something that has an object of a particular quality.
- red-haired (having red hair)
- left-handed (having a left hand as more dexterous hand)
Cognate to Cornish -es.
- your (second-person singular possessive suffix denoting singular possession)
- Added to an cardinal number to form a fraction.
- Added to a stem to form a verb.
- téved (“to make a mistake”)
- (possessive suffix): Member of the following suffix cluster:
- -d is added to words ending in a vowel. Final -a changes to -á-. Final -e changes to -é-.
- -ad is added to some back vowel words ending in a consonant
- -od is added to some other back vowel words ending in a consonant
- -ed is added to unrounded front vowel words ending in a consonant
- -öd is added to rounded front vowel words ending in a consonant
- (number suffix): Member of the following suffix cluster:
- (verbal suffix): Member of the following suffix cluster:
- -ad is added to back vowel words
- -ed is added to front vowel words
- Category:Hungarian noun forms - possessive
- Appendix:Hungarian possessive suffixes
- Appendix:Hungarian suffixes
- formed into the likeness of, made into, shaped like, having the qualities of
- æppled "apple-shaped"