Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: ik
- A suffix used to form the plurals of some animate words.
- Often used to form the plurals of words (especially nouns denoting people who have particular occupations or activities) which end in the consonant d or t (which causes the d or t to mutate into j: nodabônkad, "baker" → nodabônkajik, "bakers"); only rarely used to form the plurals of words ending in other letters (nodkwaag, notkwahag, "pilot" → nodkwaagik, notkwahagik, "pilots").
- See the usage notes at -ak.
- -s. The ending of a large group of verbs in third-person singular present tense indefinite conjugation.
- Sokat utazik. - He travels a lot.
- The ending of front-vowel verbs in third-person plural present tense definite conjugation.
- néz (“to look”) → Nézik a tévét. - They are watching the television.
- their ... -s (third-person plural possessive suffix denoting plural possession)
- Specifies which one of a specific set of things/persons. Used with adjectives. See usage notes below.
- (possessive suffix): Member of the following suffix cluster.
- -ik is added to words ending in a vowel except -i. Final -a changes to -á-. Final -e changes to -é-.
- -aik is added to some back vowel words ending in a consonant
- -eik is added to some front vowel words ending in a consonant
- -jaik is added to some back vowel words ending in a consonant or the vowel -i.
- -jeik is added to some front vowel words ending in a consonant or the vowel -i.
- (for adjectives): The -ik creates a determining adjective from a comparative adjective so it will answer to the question melyik? (“which?”). In a few cases it takes not a comparative but a basic adjective, which already incorporates the idea of comparison (e.g. más (“different”)). It is very often used with a definite article (a/az; "the").
- Category:Hungarian verbs ending in -ik
- Category:Hungarian verbs suffixed with -ik
- Appendix:Hungarian possessive suffixes
- Appendix:Hungarian suffixes
- Forms diminutive nouns.
declension of -ik
declension of -ik
-ik (Cyrillic spelling -ик)
- Suffix appended to words to create a masculine noun, usually denoting a profession, performer, place, object, tool or a feature.