Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- In a direction from lower to higher; toward a higher place; in a course toward the source or origin; -- opposed to downward; as, to tend or roll upward.
- Looking inward, we are stricken dumb; looking upward, we speak and prevail. -Hooker.
- In the upper parts; above.
- Dagon his name, sea monster, upward man, And down ward fish. -Milton.
- Yet more; indefinitely more; above; over.
- From twenty years old and upward. -Num. i. 3.
toward an upper level
- (obsolete) The upper part; the top.
- From the extremest upward of thy head. -Shak.
- Directed toward a higher place.
- with upward eye; with upward course
moving up, directed toward a higher place