Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A closely woven fabric (originally of silk, now also of cotton or man-made fibres) with a thick short pile on one side.
1918, W. B. Maxwell, chapter 2, The Mirror and the Lamp:
- She was a fat, round little woman, richly apparelled in velvet and lace, […]; and the way she laughed, cackling like a hen, the way she talked to the waiters and the maid, […]—all these unexpected phenomena impelled one to hysterical mirth, and made one class her with such immortally ludicrous types as Ally Sloper, the Widow Twankey, or Miss Moucher.
- Very fine fur, including the skin and fur on a deer's antlers.
- (rare): A female chinchilla; a sow.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (cooking) To coat raw meat in starch, then in oil, preparatory to frying
- Made of velvet.
- Soft and delicate, like velvet; velvety.
- The cowslip's velvet head.