|ˤ|| U+02E4, ˤ
MODIFIER LETTER SMALL REVERSED GLOTTAL STOP
- (IPA) pharyngealization (that is, [ʕ]-coloring, of a pharyngealized consonant or vowel).
- (IPA, less commonly) [ʕ]-fricated release of a plosive, sometimes implying an affricate; or a weak, fleeting or epenthetic [ʕ].
- Alternative transliteration of ꜥ. (Egyptological ayin).
- (NAPA, dated) marks an implosive consonant (Cˁ).
- Iconically this is a reversed Cˀ.
The difference between the Unicode characters U+02C1 ⟨ˁ⟩ and U+02E4 ⟨ˤ⟩ is not well defined.
- U+02C1 is given as a typographic alternate of the Egyptological ayin, U+02BF ⟨ꜥ⟩, which would be transcribed in IPA with the letter U+0295 ⟨ʕ⟩.
- U+02E4 is defined as a superscript IPA letter U+0295 ⟨ʕ⟩, and the IPA has selected it as the character for pharyngealization.
However, depending on the typeface, there may be no graphic difference between them.