Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: तन्त्री
- Hyphenation: तन्‧त्र
तन्त्र • (tantra) n
- a loom.
- the warp.
- the leading or principal or essential part, main point, characteristic feature, model, type, system, framework.
- doctrine, rule, theory, scientific work, chapter of such a work.
- a class of works teaching magical and mystical formularies (mostly in the form of dialogues between शिव and दुर्गा and said to treat of 5 subjects, 1. the creation, 2. the destruction of the world, 3. the worship of the gods, 4. the attainment of all objects, especially of 6 superhuman faculties, 5. the 4 modes of union with the supreme spirit by meditation.
- a spell.
- oath or ordeal.
- N. of a सामन् (also called ‘ that of विरूप ’).
- an army.
- a row, number, series, troop.
- a means which leads to two or more results, contrivance.
- a drug (esp. one of specific faculties).
- a house.
- Monier William's Sanskrit-English Dictionary, 2 nd Ed. 1899