Jump to navigation Jump to search
लग् • (lag)
- (cf. √ लक्ष्, लक्ष &c.) cl.1 P. (Dhātup. xix, 24) लगति (accord. to Nir. iv, 10 also लग्यति ; pf. ललाग Gr. ; aor. अलगीत् ib. ; fut. लगिता ib. ; लगिष्यति Pañcat. ; ind.p. लगित्वा, -लग्य Kāv.), to adhere, stick, cling or attach oneself to (loc.) MBh. Kāv. &c. (with हृदि and gen., ‘to penetrate to a person's heart’ Kathās.)
- to take effect upon (loc.) Ṡiṡ.
- to meet, come in contact, cut (as lines) Gol. Sch.
- to follow closely, ensue or happen immediately Kathās.
- to pass away (as time) Pañcat. : Caus. or cl.10. (Dhātup. xxxiii, 63) लागयति, ‘to taste’ or ‘to obtain’ ( आस्वादने, or आसादने). ([In Hindi this root often means ‘to begin.’])