- -lui (for masculine and neuter nouns that end in a vowel other than -i)
- variant of
- the (definite article)
This form of the definite article is used for both masculine and neuter nouns in the genitive and dative cases which do not end in a vowel except for -i:
- bărbatului, from bărbat, masc.
- visului, from vis, neut.
- cântecului, from cântec, neut.
- ochiului, from ochi, masc.
- războiului, from război, neut.
- cotoiului, from cotoi, masc.
The suffix is also used with masculine and plural singular adjectives in the genitive and dative cases to make the articulated definite form, often for emphasis, and it is used before the noun it modifies: