- Any of certain flowering plants of the genus Agapanthus, especially Agapanthus umbellatus.
1828, Thomas Ignatius M. Forster, Circle of the Seasons, and Perpetual Key to the Calendar and Almanack, page 204:
- African Lily Agapanthus umbellatus full fl.
- The African Lily is a beautiful blue umbelled liliaceous flower, having long contorted roots, and blowing in July.
2003, Beth Moore, A Woman and Her God, page 215:
- As Gene and I began to really look at our backyard, we discovered tall, magnificent lilac-colored African lilies, and, to my surprise, our yard displayed its own vibrant orange, white, and blue birds of paradise.
2010, Avionne Anthony, The Witness, page 146:
- But not just ordinary roses or tulips, she had majestic African lilies and exotic oriental orchids.
- (some in Agapanthus): agapanthus
- (some in Agapanthus): lily of the Nile