Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: amish
From Pennsylvania German Amisch or German Amische, after the name of the Swiss preacher Jakob Amman (1645-1730). The surname is a contraction of Old High German ambahtman.
Amish pl (plural only)
- A strict Anabaptist sect living mainly in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana.
a strict Anabaptist sect
Amish (not comparable)
- Relating to this sect.
relating to the Amish sect
- English terms derived from Pennsylvania German
- English terms derived from German
- English terms derived from Old High German
- English 2-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- Rhymes:English/ɑːmɪʃ/2 syllables
- Rhymes:English/eɪmɪʃ/2 syllables
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English pluralia tantum
- English adjectives
- English uncomparable adjectives
- English eponyms