Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Main category: English articles
Indefinite singular articles
- a dog
- an egg
- an hour (the h is not pronounced)
- a hog (the h is pronounced)
- a yak (y is a consonant sound in this word)
- a user (has /j/ as its initial sound, which is a consonant)
- an umbrella (has /ʌ/ as its initial sound, which is a vowel)
- a woman (/w/ is a consonant)
- a one (has /w/ as its initial sound, which is a consonant)
- an onion (has /ʌ/ as its initial sound, which is a vowel)
- There is one occasional exception. The form an is sometimes used before h even when the h is pronounced, but usually only when the first syllable is not accented. The usual example is an historic occasion. Though current in some dialects that pronounce the h, this is considered by many to be affected, pedantic or obsolete.
A before vowel letters
The word the is used as the definite article for both singular and plural nouns, and before vowel sound and consonant sounds alike.
- The Wikipedia article about articles.