Appendix:Glossary of Romanian profanity
Romanian profanity (înjurătură) refers to a set of words considered blasphemous or inflammatory in the Romanian language.
The Romanian language is considered to have a huge set of inflammatory terms and phrases. Profanities rarely differ from region to region in Romania, but there are differences when taking into account languages related to Romanian, such as the Aromanian and Megleno-Romanian languages.
These are words generally used of or toward a person, expressing strong distaste in them or their actions.
- bulangiu, fundaș, poponar, găozar: Male homosexual, roughly the equivalent of "fag". Bulangiu is also used for a man who doesn't want to do something that the one who calls him as such thinks he should do(roughly equivalent to "dork", "dick", "hater").
- puțoi: the possesor of a 'puță'; it is used as an insult and is roughly equivalent to "punk" as in a boy that is not mature yet
- pizdar: a womanizer, someone who is obsessed with women, "chases skirts" (also "afemeiat", "fustangiu").
- pește: pimp(literally fish)
- nenorocitule: Motherfucker.
- mama dracului: "devil's mother" used the same as "shit!" in English when something goes wrong; "căcat" (the Romanian word for "shit") can also be
- lăbar, labagiu: jerk-off; a person that masturbates too often
- curvă, târfă, traseistă, muistă: prostitute (muistă is a derivation usually denoting oral sex)
The male anatomy
- pulă: dick, penis.
- puță: a softer version of 'pulă' usually meaning the penis of a child (that hasn't reached puberty yet) or a very small penis. Other words for this include 'cocoș' (literally 'cock'), 'cocoșel' (literally 'little cock') or 'puțulică' (little 'puță').
- coaie (plural of coi): testicles from the latin cōleus, cōleī. The word "coaie" can also be used as a means of addressing someone especially a young man (never a girl or woman) in a manner roughly equivalent to using "dude" or "mate" in English speaking countries, for example "Salut, coaie, ce faci?" literally means "Hi, balls, how are you doing?". Most young people see nothing wrong in being addressed in this manner whilst older people might be offended.
The female anatomy
- balcoane (plural of balcon): a woman's breasts (literally "balconies")
- pizdă,fofo, păsărica: vagina, pussy
- lindic: clitoris ('clitoris' is also used in regular language), coming from the latin landīca
- bulan: roughly equivalent to "dumb luck" but it can also mean a woman's thigh (or leg) the word "burlan"(meaning water drainage pipe) is also used
- a bulăni: to touch or caress a woman's thighs (is considered offensive by some women unless they agree to it and can result in charges of sexual harassment)
- găoz:equivalent to "ass hole"
- fleașcă: literally "wet" - is a diferent way to say "pizda"
General anatomy and bodily functions
- buci (plural of bucă): ass cheeks.
- floci (plural of floc): pubic hairs.
- căcat: shit
- căcare: shitting; shit as in "to take a shit" from the latin word "cacāre" meaning to defecate
- laba: masturbation (literally "paw")
- cur: ass
- popou: ass, tush
- găoază: asshole (literally "hole")
- ochi(ul) maro : asshole (literally "the brown eye")
- futai, futere: sexual intercourse
- muie: blowjob, oral sex("muie" comes from "muian" which is an old Romanian word for "face" still used in some rural areas although "față" is now used the most.
- caca: children's word for shit
- pipi: children's word for piss
- pișat: piss
- sloboz: roughly equivalent to "cum" (sperm)
- smecleu: another less common word for 'sloboz'
- malachie: a word that has its origins in Greek or Romany, that refers to semen seeping from the vagina.
- mehlem: it describes a state of cum, after a few minutes in open air.
- zmatca: it is the second grade of cum degradation, after 'mehlem', meaning the state of cum after it stayed under sunlight for a few hours. It now has a certain smell of rotten egg and a disgraceful view
- hasmaz,carmaz: it is the final state of cum degradation, similar to 'zmatca coclita', used to describe something particularly disgusting.
As in English with phrases such as "go fuck yourself," Romanian has many common (and sometimes lengthy) vulgar interjections.
- băga-mi-aș pula: literally "I would stick my dick into" roughly equvalent of "fuck!" in English
- mănânci căcat: literally "you eat shit" roughly equivalent to "talk shit" in English
- sugi pula: one of the most commonly used Romanian profanities, it literally means "you suck cock," generally used to mean "blow me"
- Bat si fut ca mașina de cusut : "I beat and fuck(hard and fast) like a sewing machine "
- ia pula: an alternative to "sugi pula", it literally means "take the dick"
- îți dau la muie: another way of saying "I fuck your mouth"
- ia la muie!: "Get fucked in the mouth!"
- mânca-mi-ai... !: "Eat my..." Used in conjunction with a variety of words, including pula, pizda, coaiele, curul and căcatul
- ce pula mea ?: literally "What my dick," equivalent to "what the fuck" in English. Expresses a state of confusion, frustration, uncertainty. It is also used in place of simply "ce" as a strong intensifier (as in "de ce pula mea," meaning "why the fuck")
- futu-ți morții tăi: literally "fuck your dead relatives" it is a common profanity in Romania although some people may consider it a blasphemy as it means disrespect for the dead. Can also be stated as "lua-ti-as mortii in pula" meaning "I should take all your dead relatives in my dick"
- futu-ți Paștele mă-tii : "Fuck your mom's easter"
- mă piș pe tine (pe voi)!: "I piss on you!"
- ești futut în cur: you are "high and mighty"(literally "you are fucked in your ass"
- mă cac pe tine: I shit on you
- du-te în pizda mă-tii: "Go back into your mother's pussy" (literal translation); formal meaning: "Go fuck your mother".
- du-te în pula mea: "Go inside my dick" (literal transaltion; it means being penetrated by one's cock); formal meaning: "Fuck off".
- (la) naiba': (to) the devil; roughly, equivalent to "damn"
- (la) dracu: (to) the devil (from the latin "draco" meaning devil); equivalent to "damn!", "(be) damned!"
- du-te la dracu: "go to hell!", literally "go to the devil"; also "du-te dracului"
- nu mă fute, nu te fute cu mine: don't fuck with me
- te fut în gură: I fuck your mouth (also "futu-te-n gura" and "ti-o dau sus"), but more accurately "Blow me".
- te fut în cur: I fuck your ass
- dracu' să te ia: "the devil should take you"
- să fii al dracului: "you should belong to the devil", "go to hell"
- să fiu al dracului or al dracului să fiu: "I'll be damned!".
Verbal (infinitive) profanities
This includes simple verbs and verb phrases.
- a o pune: to have sexual intercourse (literally "to put it," "it" being the penis)
- a și-o trage: to have sexual intercourse (literally "to pull it," with "it," as above, being the penis)
- a da în geantă: to have sexual intercourse (literally "to hit the purse")
- a băga mielu' la căldură: to have sexual intercourse (literally "to take the lamb somewhere warm")
- a o lua în mână: to masturbate (literally "to grab it with the hand")
- a face degețica: to masturbate (only used of female masturbation}
- a (se) fute: to have sexual intercourse (from the latin "futuere"). The word can be used in a number of ways for example if one asks if a young female "se fute" this means he actually inquires if she has had sex before or if she is open to the idea.
- a codoși: to pimp someone
- a face trotuarul: literally meaning 'doing the sidewalk' means prostituting one's self(because prostitutes often stand on sidewalks while attempting to attract potential customers. A similar expression is 'a vinde pizda' which literally means "selling pussy". In regular language "a se prostitua", "to prostitute one's self" is used.
- a da nămolul(lutul) la deal: literally meaning "to push the mud (clay) uphill" means "to fuck in the ass"
- a arăta muie: showing the middle finger pointing upwards roughly equivalent to "flipping the bird" in English
- a suge moțul pulii : means to suck the cock's head
Very tough Romanian profanities
- Usca-mi-aș chiloții pe crucea lu mă-ta : "I would like to dry my underpants on your mother’s cross"
- Sufla-ți-aș cu curul in lingură cand te arde ciorba la gura : "I can blow farts in your spoon when the soup is too hot for you"
- Să-mi fac niste schiuri din crucea mă-tii: "Let me make some ski from your mom's cross!"
- Să mă tragi de floci (cu dintii): "Pull my pubic hair (with your teeth)"!
- Plimba-mi-aș coaiele pe coliva mă-tii din bomboană in bomboană: "I take my balls for a walk on your mother’s funeral meal from one candy to the next" . This is the toughest of all. Your can use this when a friend's mom recently died.
- Da-mi-ai limbi in cur să-mi ciufulești căcătul : "Stick your tongue in my ass to ruffle my shit"
- Lingea-mi-ai branza de pe rafturile pulii!: "Lick the cheese from my dick’s shelves! The cheese means the sperm.
- șparcai-m-aș in ciorba lu mă-ta: "I will shit liquid
- Dictionar de argou al limbii romane by George Volceanov 2000 Niculescu Publishing