Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Ausonian (not comparable)
- Of ancient Ausonia or the Ausonians
1887, Theodor Mommsen & William Purdie Dickson, The Provinces of the Roman Empire from Caesar to Diocletian, page 172:
- master of the glorious art of proud Ausonian song
- (poetic) Italian
1907 (1850), “The Palace of Art”, in Select Poems of Alfred Tennyson:
- Or hollowing one hand against his ear, / […] stay'd the Ausonian king to hear / Of wisdom and of law.
- Of or relating to the ancient poet Ausonius.
Ausonian (plural Ausonians)
- An ancient inhabitant of middle or lower Italy
1823, “Chronology”, in Encyclopaedia Britannica:
- The Ausonians, the most ancient inhabitants of Italy, computed the day from midnight.
- (poetic) An Italian