Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (slang, US, Air Force) Big Ugly Fat Fellow (or Fucker); US Airforce nickname for the B-52 bomber.
1994, Frederick Forsyth, The Fist of God: [a novel], page 377:
- The B-52 Stratofortress is not called the Buff because it is painted a tan or dun-brown color.
2002, S. Lock, Ribald Tales & Stories from U.T.: Confessions of a Staff Weenie, page 3:
- I should note here in polite society it is considered proper to call the B-52 a BUFF for Big Ugly Fat Fella or Fellows
- 2004, Nick Veronico, Nicholas A. Veronico, Jim Dunn, 21st Century U.S. Air Power, page 48:
- Deployed at no higher than 135 knots, the 44-foot drag chute aids in braking the BUFF.
2004, Keith R Parris, The Servants of Freedom: The SOF, page 29:
- There were also, however disgusting it might seem, "BUFF" drivers coming in from B-52 bombers and C-130 cargo haulers.
2006, Jim Clonts, When Penguins Flew and Water Burned, page 447:
- The general invited his old buddy to Barksdale to fly in the B-52 and show him just what the old BUFF could do.