Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From Benedict Arnold, famous for betraying the United States during the Revolutionary War.
- (US) A traitor.
2012, Nicholas Campanella, Traglamoor's Journey:
- What if we are already under investigation from someone covertly talking with the cops? What if there is a Benedict Arnold in the group?
2009, Charles Zastrow, The Practice of Social Work: A Comprehensive Worktext, page 204:
- Within a group, Benedict Arnolds attempt to prevent the group from accomplishing its goals
2008, Nick De La Pena, The Contagion, page 299:
- I am no longer an American; I am a traitor, a Judas, a Benedict Arnold.
- 1945, William Worthy, Jr., "Non-Fraternization: American Style", The Crisis, Vol. 52, No. 11, page 323:
- A Negro hotelkeeper in a free city of the North views with disdain a Benedict Arnold in the colored camp who crosses the lines to a "white" hotel.