Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A male given name.
- There was a certain man in Cesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band, A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.
- 2014 Joyce Carol Oates, Carthage, Fourth Estate, ISBN 9780007485741, page 213:
- The intern will not call me 'Cornelius―(in fact, that dowdy old name isn't my actual name nor, at the present time, my nom de guerre)―but 'Dr. Hinton*―or 'sir'―will do.
- Name of early Christian saints with a medieval cult in the Low Countries. The name has remained rather rare in English.
- Cornelius has been used as an anglicization of Conchobhar in Ireland.
- feminine form: Cornelia
male given name
Possibly related to cornu (“horn”).
- An old Roman gens name.
1Found in older Latin (until the Augustan Age).