Uncertain. See Wikipedia's article on the subject for theories.
Hoosier (plural Hoosiers)
- A native or resident of the U.S. state of Indiana.
- Someone associated with the Indiana University, for example as a student, alum, or sports team member, or as a fan. This is also the university's sports mascot.
- (slang, Missouri) An uneducated, tasteless Caucasian person.
2015, Pate McMichael, Klandestine: How a Klan Lawyer and a Checkbook Journalist ..., page 2:
- Taken as a whole, the article portrayed Ray as an indigent, racist “Hoosier” (St. Louis slang for redneck) with an inept, habitual tendency to commit petty crimes.
- (US, historical) A kind of cupboard or dresser with shelves, drawers, etc.; a kitchenet.
Hoosier (not comparable)
- Characteristic of or pertaining to the American state of Indiana.
1947, John Bartlow Martin, Indiana: An Interpretation, page xi:
- Less well known but perhaps even more interesting than Stephenson is Court Asher, the second "gentleman" from Indiana. Asher is a more convincing bigot than Stephenson, one more homegrown and more Hoosier than the puffed-up grand dragon, […]
2009, Alden Studebaker, Hoosieritis: The Contagious Condition That Is Indiana, page 51:
- That's not very Hoosier, is it?
- 2009, Alexander Lawrence, Blest Be the Tie, book 1:
- “Somehow the tradition doesn't seem very Hoosier.”
- (Indiana): Indianan