Via some other European language, ultimately a Middle East term, possibly from Sumerian [Term?] (/Uruk/) or [Term?] (/Warka/) (Biblical Erech), the name of a region in the south of ancient Iraq. Medieval Arabic uses Iraq as a geographical term for the area in the south and center of the modern Iraq. Some Arabic sources say that Iraq comes from عَرِيق (ʿarīq, “deep-rooted”), from عِرْق (ʿirq, “root”), while others say it is from Middle Persian erāq (“lowlands”), due to historic rule from Iraq's plateau-situated neighbor, Persia.
Irāka f (4th declension)
- Iraq (country in the Middle East in Asia, with Baghdad as its capital)
- Irākas karogs ― the flag of Iraq
- Irākas valdība ― the government of Iraq
- Irākas karš ― the Iraq war
- ASV un sabiedrotie uzbruka Irākai bez ANO sankcijas ― the USA and its allies attacked Iraq without UN sanction