Via other European languages, ultimately a borrowing from Hebrew יִשְׂרָאֵל (yisra'él) ("Israel"), which, in Biblical Hebrew, means "he who wrestles with God" (a Biblical name for Jacob after he wrestles with an adversary, later extended to cover the Jewish people and their land).
Izraēla f (4th declension)
- Israel (a Jewish state in the Near East, in Asia)
- Izraēlas karogs — the flag of Izrael
- Izraēlas premjerministrs — the prime minister of Israel
- 1974. gadu Izraēlā dzīvoja 5 473 100 iedzīvotāju — in 1974, 5 473 000 people lived in Israel
- (historical) Israel (a nation that in ancient times occupied roughly the same area as the State of Israel)