Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Janeite (plural Janeites)
- (usually pejorative) A fan of the author Jane Austen, especially one without a background in literary criticism.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Rudyard Kipling to this entry?)
2010, Edward Copeland and Juliet McMaster, The Cambridge Companion to Jane Austen, page 236:
- Unlike virtually all academic readers of Austen since the 1950s, Janeites in foxholes do not think Austen's novels are about courtship and marriage.
2012, Henry Hitchings, “How to flummox a Janeite”, in Who's Afraid of Jane Austen: How to Talk About Books You Haven't Really Read:
- The 'regulated hatred' angle will work a treat. After all, Janeites don't want to hear about that sort of thing, because it's the opposite of what they adore in their heroine's writing.
- (fan of Jane Austen): Austenite