Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Latin "laurel tree" or "from Laurentium"
- Rhymes: -ɒrən
- A female given name; a variant of Laura or a modern feminine form of Lawrence. Popular in the 1990s and the 2000s.
- A male given name, a rare spelling variant of Loren.
- A rare surname.
- 2004 Alice Munro, Runaway:Stories, Knopf 2004, page 214 ("Trespasses")
- "I don't like my name," said Delphine. "Nobody likes their own name."
- "I don't like mine."
- "Lauren's nice. They picked a nice name for you."
- 2007 Marcel Danesi, Why It Sells:Decoding the Meanings of Brand Names, Rowman&Littlefield 2007, page 59
- For example, the new York designer Ralph Lifshitz chose to change his "unpleasant-sounding" name to Ralph Lauren, creating a multi-billion-dollar clothing enterprise as a result.