Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Diminutives with -y.
- A pet form of female given names, such as Linda and Lindsay.
- 2004 Anne Tyler, The Amateur Marriage, ISBN 0701177349, page 105
- Lindy herself hated the name Lindy. She said it sounded like a girl in pink gingham. At the beginning of this school year she'd started making all the teachers address her by her full name, Linnet.
- Nickname of Charles Lindbergh.
Lindy (plural Lindys)
- A dance step.
- A musical composition suitable for such a dance.
2002, Herman Wouk, War and Remembrance, page 234:
- "These damned Lindys!" bubbled Janice. "Don't they play anything for old married folks?"