Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Britain, Ireland and some Commonwealth countries) the title of the mayor of a major city.
- A ceremonial post conferred by the sovereign on rare and special occasions to confer honour on the city.
- Conventional translation of German Oberbürgermeister; an elected official in charge of a major German city.
- Lord Provost (term used in Scotland)
mayor of a major city
- The term is largely a ceremonial title, hence the use of capitals. However, in Australia, it is a political position and lower case lord mayor is often used. If referring to the person or their title, Lord Mayor is used.