Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Mona-Lisa
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˌməʊnə ˈliːzə/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌmoʊnə ˈlisə/, /ˌmoʊnə ˈlaɪzə/
- Rhymes: -iːzə, -iːsə, -aɪzə
- A painting by Leonardo da Vinci, widely considered as the most famous painting in history.
2005, Zvi Rappoport; Joel F. Liebman, The Chemistry of Cyclobutanes, page 18:
- This small and deceptively simple, but extremely interesting molecular system was rightly characterized by Cram and coworkers as ‘The Mona Lisa of Organic Chemistry’, because of its ability to elicit wonder, to stimulate imagination and, last but not least, by its enigmatic elusiveness and numerous outstanding features.
2005, Ariel Lewin, The Archaeology of Ancient Judea and Palestine, page 84:
- The panels depicting scenes from the life of Dionysos are framed with acanthus leaves, some of which form medallions, including one showing a fascinating woman who has come to be known as the Mona Lisa of Galilee.
painting by Leonardo da Vinci